Saturday, August 07, 2004

Medals and Ribbons

So, I am trying to research the Swift Boat Vets for Truth issue. I looked at their site, found it reasonably impressive (the photo particularly so), but it is obviously from one particular point of view. The only way to counter that appropriately is to strike a balance by finding looking at what people on the other side of the fence have to say.

Thus, to find out why John Kerry and the DNC threatened tv stations with libel if they ran the ad, I attempted to look at the official Kerry website. I searched for swift boat vets, and, scanning through the titles, I found one that looked interesting: "Why Kerry threw his ribbons". Not exactly the topic I was looking for, but one in which I was interested.

I was busy when the story first broke: midterms and papers and two shows during my last semester at college, so I never got really into it. So I really wanted to read Kerry's explanation.

Well, if that is his idea of an explanation, I am sorely disappointed.

"Do you still have the Silver Star," I asked Kerry. "Yeah," he said, "do you want to see it?" My answer was yes. He walked across his study to a secondary desk with clutter on top, mainly books, and opened the top right drawer. This is where he keeps all of his war medals.

"Nothing too fancy," he said as he pointed to the various boxes in which his medals were kept. "They don't bring back good memories." After glancing at them briefly we went back to our taped interview. [emphasis added]

He also points out that throwing ribbons rather than medals was not a deliberate attempt to be dupicitous, it was simply that he had his ribbons rather than his medals with him. They were equally symbolic.

Vietnam was a difficult time in our history. We had a draft, which I consider to be totally illegitimate. I understand and respect anyone who fled the country, tried to get out of service, took lesser service, accepted the draft but were resentful and hated their service or served with honor. I certainly am in no position to judge anyone's behavior at that time.

So, I find nothing wrong with Kerry's feelings of dissatisfaction (and I realize that I'm putting it mildly). I find nothing wrong with his throwing away his ribbons as a symbolic gesture. As long as he is willing to back up that position, I respect him.

So, what is my problem?

If it was such a painful time, why does he keep bringing it up? If his medals "don't bring back good memories", why does he mention them in the same sentence as "leadership, courage and sacrifice" on his website?

I find this behavior to be hypocritical. I find it disturbing that this article is presented as an explanation on his website. After all, it does a good job of explaining why he hated Vietnam, why he would choose not to speak of it and why he would try to be an activist against it.

It does not explain why he would feel that way and then change to someone who tries to present himself as a brave veteran, just in time for an election.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home