Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Immigration: Legal and Illegal

I wish I had taped the conversation I had last night. It was with my father about the current immigration kerfuffle. I said many insightful things (if I do say so myself).

What it boils down to though is this:
My background in political science clearly shows me why there is no special interest group trying to represent legal immigrants (because they aren't here yet), why there are several groups against all immigration (economic morons who see them as a threat to our standard of living and social morons who think they are ruining 'American Culture'*), and why there are special interests in helping illegals (people who exploit them, businesses that want workers**, and politicians who see an untapped vote source).

But I wish that we would make it easier for peaceful people to immigrate legally and impossible for people to immigrate illegally. No quotas, no "well, don't exactly qualify as a refugee", no "prove that you can't find an American to do that job", no "you can only get a job here if you promise not to work for less than an American", no "prove that you are really married and not just faking it", and no looking the other way at thousands sneaking in without background checks.

I'd like to see us turn our backs on the old quote*** "I have never known an immigrant not to believe that while, of course, he should have gotten in, the quality has dropped substantially and the door should have been shut firmly behind him."



*I think leftists are a far greater threat to that culture than immigrants could ever be and that legal immigrants are quite likely to have the 'American Spirit' of forging a better life for themselves and their children.
**Please note, "businesses who want workers" is not the same category as "people who exploit them". Paying someone an agreed upon wage, even if that wage is lower than what you would take or what the law says, is not exploitation. When I say 'exploitation' I am thinking of the criminals who trick young girls to come and then force them to be prostitutes knowing the girls have no one to help or those involved in other slave labor.
***Which I can't find and would appreciate being able to quote and attribute it properly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home