Wednesday, September 15, 2004

Double Standards on Who Can Say What

At the Rosh Hashanah dinner tonight, we went around the table saying something we were thankful for or something we wished for for the new year. Most people said something along the lines of "I am thankful for my friends and family."

When it was my mom's turn, she said, "My wish for the new year is that the troops come home."

I wonder how she (and everyone else) would have reacted if I said, "I am thankful for the sacrifices made by our soldiers and my wish for the new year is that we are careful not to be too hasty in leaving lest their sacrifices be in vain."



No, wait, I forgot. She can articulate her opinion because everyone agrees with her; I can't because not everyone agrees with me. If she says what she wants, everyone can feel smugly happy; if I do, I might make people as uncomfortable as she made me. Incidentally, that is why I didn't say anything in response..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home