Thursday, March 30, 2006

Banning technology instead of the cause of the problem

Hat tip, BotWT

Law Professor Bans Laptops in Class
Professor June Entman says her main concern is that students are so busy keyboarding they can't think and analyze what she's telling them.
Now, I understand where this professor is coming from. I suspect that she is like me: I am unable to write and think at the same time...when I am writing, I am not understanding what the teacher is saying (unless I am copying something from the board).

Throughout my college career, I never took any notes, depending instead on the course readings and my own understanding of what the teachers said in class. But I recognize I am in the minority. Most students depend on notes. And according to some:

[A student] says he won't be able to keep up if he has to rely on hand-written notes, which he says are incomplete and less organized.
If the professor wants her students to do less note-taking and more analyzing she should find a way to provide them notes or recordings and then ask that no one take notes. Blaming the technology is foolish.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home