Tuesday, September 21, 2004

Madeline Albright

I was flipping through the channels last night, trying to get information on the CBS apology without access to the internet, and stumbled on a Hannity and Colmbs interview of Madeline Albright.

Now, please keep in mind that, until recently, I actively avoided even learning about politics. So, I knew nothing about Albright other than the fact that she was the former Secretary of State. I assumed she was of the statesman type of politician: respected, respectable, dedicated, mostly non-partisan.

Boy was I wrong.

The line I happened to flip to FoxNews for was her saying the chestnut about the President lying* to the American people. Colmbs (yes, she was being interviewed by the liberal half of Hannity and Colmbs) asked her why she thought the President lied: as he put it, "What do you think the President hoped to gain by this lie?"

How did she answer this? "The most dangerous thing, I think, is that we have a President who actually believes this false information."

A lie is defined as an intentional mistruth. Mistakes are not classified as lies unless there is some intent behind them. If I ask you what time it is and you tell me it is 6:30pm when it is really 7:30pm and unless you did it intentionally, you did not lie to me. Even if I miss my bus or don't pick up my little brother or suffer any other consequences because of this misinformation, it is not a lie.

If the President believed that he was giving the American people accurate information and he was incorrect, he was not lying.

Either Madeline Albright is stupid and does not know a simple definition of a commonly used word or...

She was lying.

Think about it.




*The reason I call it a chestnut is specifically because it claims the President lied, not that he was mistaken or wrong (though I might still argue with that assesment, I would consider it a reasonable claim to make).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home