Sunday, September 26, 2004

Yom Kippur, Day of Atonement

For most holidays, you say "Happy Holiday" or "Have a good time". Not so with Yom Kippur.

Yom Kippur is not a joyous holiday, it is a reflective one. In direct contrast to most Jewish Holidays, instead of having eating as being a major component of the holiday, not eating is the major component.

Therefore, for Yom Kippur, you say "Have an easy fast".

Well, I had a really easy fast.

My mood wasn't significantly different from last Yom Kippur to this, nor was I spending more or less time concetrating on my sins and atoning for them. So what made the difference?

Pritikin, I think.

While here, I have gotten used to smaller portion sizes without feeling hungry (in fact, by only eating when hungry, I find I am eating less here than I normally do). Also, there are no refined sugars or carbs, so no spike in blood sugar followed by a huge drop made me hungry. And by not stuffing myself before, I did not stretch my stomach out.

Today, I am a bit more hungry than usual, but I am filling up on veggies and feeling good.

It makes me feel like G-d approves of the changes in my life, of my decision to make the changes and is helping me along.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home