Thursday, January 06, 2005

Definition of "Honest"

While in CA, visiting my family, my uncle, stepfather and my aunt's brothers were having a 'political discussion'. Basically, they were doing the same old boring (non-substantive) Bush/Republican bashing without even considering that *gasp* other people might have different perspectives.

While clearing the table, I made an interjection here and there, mostly just to let them know that they weren't the only people in the room and that they should be able to back up their arguments.

Then, Uncle J. said that he considered Bill Clinton to be "an honest man".

I just looked at him in total shock and said, "Excuse me?"

He reiterated his statement and I asked him what his definition of a dishonest man might be.

Ignoring my question, I was asked if I believe George W. Bush to be an honest man. I admitted that I don't think any politician is honest and that, given that Bush is a politician, I don't believe he is honest either...but that Clinton was very far from my definition of honest.

My stepfather said that "Clinton only lied about sex."

So, basically, his definition of "an honest man" is "someone who only* lies about some things". Silly me, I thought the definition was more like "someone who doesn't lie".

Then P. pointed out that when Clinton lied, people didn't die. I managed to stifle it, but I found myself desperately wanting to point out that bumper stickers tend to make poor arguments in a serious discussion.

Instead, I asked what specific 'Bush lie' he was talking about. He started a convoluted line of reasoning that seemed to have as it's point that Colin Powell said something P. didn't agree with.

Riiiiiiiiight.

I asked him how exactly this was an example of a 'Bush lie'. He responded that this was proof af an atmosphere of lies that surrounded Bush.

So basically, he answered the question he wish I had asked, rather than the one I actually wanted answered.

The conversation continued in this vein for a while, getting more and more frustrating for me as I would continue pose questions and not receive relevant answers while the precise topic at hand constantly shifted. I'll spare you further description.


*After I came home and related this conversation to my father, he pointed out that many people would lie about really important stuff, in the consequences were severe enough, even if they normally tell the truth. But if someone lies about the unimportant issues (if you'll recall Clinton's defenders insisted that sex was one of those really unimportant issues), doesn't that mean that that person is all the more likely to lie about the important things?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home